Saturday, June 11, 2011

Impulse

Impulse
by Ellen Hopkins

Tony's painful childhood memories can be quelled only through pills.  Vanessa has a secret that keeps her coming back to the blade.  And Connor seems to have the perfect life on the outside, but his inward battle with his parents, his peers, and himself give him one last choice-to pull the trigger.


These are three lives that would have been cut short if not for the hasty intervention by loved ones.  Or fate.  Now they are given a second chance at a better life- but only if they help one another, and if they find the strength to let go of their inner demons.  For good.







I could not get into this book.  I couldn't relate to the characters.  I think the switiching perspectives really slowed the story down.  Also,

           *Spoilers ahead* 



 What is with the mommy hating?  All three characters had some serious mommy issues and the daddies where the saviors, well, in most cases.

Also I kind of did not like how much the kids depended on being medicated.  I understand that for a lot of people they need it, but towards the end when it's the last final step before they can be released out into the wild, they are still being medicated day and night.  And the one boy who decides to stop taking his meds on the trip gets severley depressed and ends up killing himself.  I have to say that I am not quite sure I like the message that this book sends out.

1. Blame everything on your mother
2.  Medicate youreslf to cure yourself.

weird.

And the love connection that happened, to me at least, seemed really out of place.




               *end spoilers* 






Uhh that is all.

I like Hopkins' Crank trilogy much better.

No comments: