Thursday, August 18, 2011

Blame it all on my roots



   I'm done with the YA paranormal genre.  D.O.N.E.  Maybe even done with YA in general although I will admit that I have found a few that  I really enjoyed.  Hex Hall, Revolution, The Sky is Everywhere and Perfect Chemistry.  But other than that I mostly want to throw all the other books against the wall.  I'm sick of the insta-love, the love triangles, the TSTL heroines.  I mean, I know that many of these problems occur in adult paranormal, but at least those have sex scenes and swearing!

So, what's made me want to cut YA paranormal out of my life?

Yeah.  That's right. Forgotten.

This story.  ARG!! It could have been SO much more.  But it focused on a love story.  This stupid girl falls in love with the same stupid boy everyday from reading notes?  Are you kidding me?  What is this?  50 First Dates?  *Throws a hissy fit*

Couldn't this have just been a story about figuring out a way to get her memories back?  Why did the whole story, except for the incredibly rushed ending have to be about a BOY.  









Has no one heard the saying "boys are stupid, throw rocks at them?"





You know what really pisses me off?  The fact that London  says that she wouldn't have been able to fix things about herself if she hadn't fallen in love.  WTF boys fix everything? NO HELL NO!!!!!



Sorry if this is someone's favorite book, or anything.  I'm not saying that the writing was bad, or that the characters were awful, I'm just saying I'm disappointed with the way the story went.

Which is why, I can't read YA anymore.  Maybe I just expect too much out of them?  Maybe I'm jaded, or even worse, what if all the child in me died and I can't enjoy stories like that anymore?!?!  Oh man, that would suck  :(

I'll read the books I've got left on my shelf but after that, I'm going back to my comfort genres, scifi, fantasy, and paranormals.  Not that I ever stopped reading them  :P

1 comment:

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

Aww, I'm sorry that you feel this way. Forgotten is actually another book that is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read - and I must admit that I'm quite intrigued with it. I totally get what you're saying though - a character's growth and development shouldn't revolve around a boy. Will give this a read and let you know what I think! :)