Friday, November 12, 2010

Hex Hall

I did it!  I finally got around to reading this book!  Huzzaaahh!!!  Except that now I'm all sad that I have to wait till February? March?  for the second book to come out. DAMN!

Hex Hall
by: Rachel Hawkins

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.







This book was outstanding!  I'm going to put this book up in my top favorite reads of the year.  It has been a really painful reading year for me lol!  It's a quick read too, read it in one sitting.

What made this book so great for me was the fact that I was not annoyed by anything.  Probably a first for me as I get annoyed very easily.  Sophie is now my new favorite leading lady.  She's got a great personality and I just loved her voice.

I also loved the fact that there was no stupid love triangle, no sudden declarations of love that had been pulled out of the characters asses and no dumb as a box of rocks heroine.  Sure some of the plot lines were a bit cliche, like Sophie being in a boarding school, having a crush on the hottest guy in the school, and her only friend being the social outcast vampire and it seems like your run of the mill YA book all over again.  But you would be wrong of course.

Blah bitty blah, don't be like me and procrastinate to read this, pick it up now and wait in agony with me till the next one comes out. RAH!

11 comments:

a!k0 said...

Wait, wait, wasnt there a series on this?? This is oddly familiar...hmmm I'd totally watch it if there are :P

Crystal @ RBtWBC said...

Girl, you are my favoritist (I'm makin that a word) reviewer!
And I'm totally jealous because I STILL need to read this book but probably won't get to it for another month or so. AG!

Amber said...

I'm picking up this novel tomorrow. I've heard such good things about it and reading your review hasn't stated anything other wise. So glad it was a quick read and you loved the voice. Thanks for the review!

Straylights said...

@ a!ko There is a show called Hex, I guess it takes place in a boarding school, but I don't know much else about it.

@ Crystal AWWW :::tear::: that means so much to me lol I think you should just put this up on the top of the TBR pile, seriously a quick read.

@Aj Woohoo! I hope you like it as much as I did :)

Heather @ Love Life and Reading said...

Hello fellow blogger! new follower to your page here. Just wanted to drop some *love* and say that you have a wonderful blog here! I'm new to blogging and would love if you could return the favor and follow my page! Happy Blogging!

how many times do you think i used the word blog?

pruesbookblog.blogspot.com

Kristina Barnes♥ said...

Mkay so you told me on my review of Hex Hall that you'd be buying/reading this soon, so I was SUPER HAPPY to see it pop up on my blog feed! :D

I loved this book, too! Not crazy love, but enough love for me to want Demonglass ASAAAAAP. I loved Sophie - she was so sarcastic and made me laugh so many times. Half of my "quotes" sections involved her jokes. :P The ending really caught me for a twist, too. I had no idea that would happen.

But yeah anyway. AM I THE ONLY ONE WONDERING WHY THERES A CAT ON THE COVER?! It's on Demonglass's cover, too! Why is it there?! Sophie doesn't have a cat, and she's allergic. Are they only including it to make me drive myself crazy from wondering why it's there?!

Oh wait, I rant on your blog too much. xD So I'll leave it with: good review, and I'm glad you liked it as much (more!) as I did! :D

Straylights said...

HAHAHA Kristina! I was going to say something about the random cat, but as a cat lover I just couldn't! Besides that, it really is a cutie, don't you think? LOL

And I love your rants, keep them up! :D

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

Sexy warlock and no love triangles? How utterly refreshing. I'm going to have to check this one out then!

Emma (the Expat) said...

I just found your blog, and I have to admit, I clicked follow as soon as I saw the "I Stalk You" heading above your blog reel. Your reviews seem fun to read and well-written, so I'll be back!

a!k0 said...

Hmm yeah that show, but I thought it was boring :P I am sure it is not this book so I am safe to say this sounds interesting :D

TheBookGirl said...

Glad to see that you found something you loved reading!
Hope your next one is as good :)