Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crank

Yesterday I sat down and read Crank by Ellen Hopkins.  I thought the way the book was written into shapes and oddly structured paragraphs (poems)  would bother me but it only made the book that much better.  Like the got the words across more clearly.  There weren’t many words but the ones that were there had so much impact, so much weight and meaning.

I loved Crank.  I loved it more than I thought I would.  I hated it at the same time. Hated it because I saw my loved ones in Kristina’s story.  I saw people in my life that I cared about taken away from me by the exact same monster.  Felt the pain of knowing something was wrong, but not being able to help because the loved ones didn’t want to be helped. 

I'm still trying to sort through my feelings a day after reading this book.  And for now, I can't quite put all my feelings into coherent sentences so I'll just leave it at that.  I do want to read Glass, the next book in the series, but not right away, I need some time to recover.  

If you want to know more about Ellen Hopkins, Brent from The Naughty Book Kitties just did an interview with her and it's a really quite good.

No comments: